Monday, June 19, 2006

And a pizza.


HaitianGiantCentipede
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.
UPDATE: To Ori, my X-Men (fans)!

Could anyone with a working knowledge of the X-Men please head over to Ori's blog, as she has a few technical questions about the whole film vs comics thing. As in 'Iceman's a bit rubbish in the film, isn't he?' as so on. Off you go, sharpish. I've pointed out that Phoenix is way harder in the comics, as opposed to the film where she mostly hangs about looking gloomy, but stopped there. Magneto was about right though I thought.

The third film had some good ideas I thought. I thought if Bryan Singer had done it, it would only have ten per cent better. But it would have been a very important ten per cent (I did like like the pink piping on Kitty Pryde's costume though, a flourish of wit in which the costume department managed to out-do the entire script).

(Anyway, back to the post, as more people need to know about hype machine. And I'm not convinced anyone's looked at the Nick Kroll stuff yet)

Of course it occurred to me that if Trouty does become a qualified Hostage Negotiator, our Wednesday night D&D sessions might become even more fun:

ME: ... okay, the centipede hit you, so the damage is-
TROUTY: (through megaphone) PUT THE DICE DOWN!
ME: Fifteen damage. Ooh, you're dead.
TROUTY: I AM NOT DEAD!
ME: You're so de- hey, my Wolverine t-shirt's got a red dot on it...*
TROUTY: SNIPERS, NOW!

Someone asked a while back what an 'mp3 blog accumulator' was, and I forgot to tell them. It's basically a website that sits astride the internet like a music-loving spider, and every time a blog posts an mp3 (music file) it reaches out a hairy leg and puts up a link (sorry, the metaphor ran out there).

Hype Machine is the best one I know of. I check the 'popular' link pretty much every day, which makes me a saddo indie-collective-following sheep, man, but it does find me some great music. And if you put 'the knife' in the search field at the beginning of the weekend, you might just come across some amazing stuff by Swedish(?) electropop types, including 'We Share Our Mother's Health', which I'd forgotten all about, and now recognize as the best song in the world ever. It's considered good form to leave an appreciative comment on an mp3 blog if you've whipped one of their songs though. And if you really like the song, buy the album.

Don't really know what this is, but it's very funny, and oddly reminiscent of me and PP larking about before a Magnetic Fields concert, only in New York. And we're not quite as butch. Well, PP is. I'll stop now. The main guy Nick Kroll's showreel also includes the best sofa jump I have ever seen. And I've seen a few.



* Joke stolen from My Name Is Earl.

UPDATES:

Patroclus notes: " ...putting my pedant hat on briefly (because everyone loves that), it's technically an 'aggregator', rather than an 'accumulator', which is something to do with gambling, or something", which is a very good point. Ta Patch.

And (back to me now) probably you only need to add a positive compliment every six mp3 blogs or something, or you'd never get any work done, he said, suddenly realising the depths of his monstrous hypocrisy.

14 comments:

Rose said...

That centipede looks like it should taste like lobster. Also, there should be a picture of a small child next to it or something so I can tell how big it actually is.

Spinsterella said...

Hmph.

I can't get any tunes on my shonky shoddy laptop, sold to me by a scheming, scamming shyster.

The great new digital music revolution is passing me right by and I'm losing my saddo-indie-chick credentials by the minute...

Anonymous said...

Okay... Hype Machine could possibly be THE best website in the entire world. By posting that, you more than made up for that grotesque centipede picture, which scared the ever-loving hell out of me.

Matt said...

James, you might want to have a look at this :P

http://www.business-opportunities.biz/projects/how-much-is-your-blog-worth/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjamesandthebluecat.blogspot.com%2F

James Henry said...

I. Rock.

Thanks Matt. My non-existent advertising rates have just gone up considerably. You see, evil soulless corporations? I would happily have sold out before for much less. Now I want loads.

Oh wait, Neil Gaiman's is worth $835,000. Bugger.

patroclus said...

>>It's considered good form to leave an appreciative comment on an mp3 blog if you've whipped one of their songs<<

Oo, the entire mp3 blogiverse must really hate me. Sometimes it's like I *want* to be caught.

Time to start hosting my own mp3s, I think...

And putting my pedant hat on briefly (because everyone loves that), it's technically an 'aggregator', rather than an 'accumulator', which is something to do with gambling, or something.

baggiebird said...

Nice centipede!

Anonymous said...

Is that a centipede in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me...?

Anonymous said...

Great swoop by Nick kroll, oh, and nice centipede there.

Anonymous said...

Nice?? It's terrifying! It is a terrifying giant centipede! Those buggers can grow up to nearly a foot long? Arrgh!

James couldn't you have used, I don't know, a less threatening looking centipede to adorn this page? Maybe a nice inoffensive one like the singing, boot wearing chap from James and the Giant Peach? He was a genial fellow as far as I remember and decidedly less scary.

Rose said...

I'm quite upset that the centipede is that small. It looks like something a small gang of Oompa-loompas could ride.

Anonymous said...

I saw XMen 3 at the weekend.

I thought it was rather disappointing, particularly in light of Xmen2.

Fat Roland said...

My friend Sarah who does stand-up comedy reckons my friend Stephen who is a musician looks like Wolverine who is one of the X-Men.

I have never seen X-Men and therefore wouldn't know.

Melissa said...

Sofa jump is amazing. Reminds me of my attempts to do gymnastics at school. In my defence, falling flat on your face is very popular where I'm from.