Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Things I Learned in 2010

When you've got a two year old, a four month old, and you and your partner are both trying to work full-time, it's really really difficult to keep on top of working, cleaning, cooking and keep the blog going. Hopefully things'll pick up again in 2011.

(a couple of people have asked if I've 'knocked the blog on the head', which FAIR BROKE MY HEART)

Anyway, things that happened, but I didn't have time to blog about:

1. I was warned by a film producer to 'be very wary of Keira Knightley', who apparently can be 'very manipulative'. I wasn't working on a project with her or anything, the producer just said this out of the blue. To date, despite my constant vigilance, I have not been manipulated by Keira Knightley.

2. whilst pushing The Boy One to Falmouth in his pram, a tile slid off a roof and crashed to the pavement behind me exactly where we had been standing only a few seconds ago. I had been thinking about God at the time (not in that way, I was writing an outline for a series about angels WITH GUNS). So the things that occurred to me after I shouted 'Meep!' and jumped about a foot in the air were:

a) That could have killeded us!
b) But I had been thinking about God.
c) God tried to kill me!
d) And failed! In your face God, I AM IMMORTAL

However I suspect this was only applicable for 2010. I wish I'd done more now.

3. I can't think of anything else. The blog probably didn't miss out really.

13 comments:

Vicus Scurra said...

Pls to be more specific. Are you considering selling your children? Abandoning domestic chores? Giving up work? (I can recommend the last, even though it does have financial implications).

James Henry said...

I have considered all those things, but the current plan is just gritting teeth and sticking with it until Young Will starts nursery in May.

Fortunately, my full-time time job isn't exactly the dictionary definition of 'full-time', so I can sort of squeeze in the writing last thing in the evening. Or in those rare blessed moments when they're both asleep.

I think if I had any other job, I'd have given up for a bit (Patroclus having a far more reliable income), but I've just got to that point where I've got loads of fun things that could potentially happen, so I'm desperately trying to keep all the plates spinning for now.

Sarah said...

We have a one-year-old and are expecting our second in June and we only have one-and-thre-fifths of full-time jobs between us. And we are failing at keeping on top of the domestic stuff. I fail to see how it's going to improve come June.

However, we don't seem to have to worry about God trying to kill us, so that's probably quite a lot of pressure we're avoiding.

James Henry said...

Yeah, the domestic stuff just has to slide after a while, I think. We were pretty lucky with our first one, as she started sleeping through the night very quickly, and had a good routine during the day we could work around. Having a second one really does change everything though. Still, good luck!

Tim F said...

Maybe Keira Knightley is God. Seeking to manipulate you by a calaculated campaign of tile-lobbing.

Jayne said...

My house looks like a bomb's hit it - a dirty bomb. And I don't even have the excuse of two small children to lob at my detractors. On the other hand I don't have to worry about being manipulated by Keira Knightley or God (as I don't believe either of them exist).

Angels with guns? I want it!

Anonymous said...

I knew it. I can tell that that Keira Knightley is evil. And Felicity Kendal. I'm NOT joking.

Rosie said...

Sounds like boy number one has special powers.

Pattaya Girls said...

I have just one kid and we struggle to get anything done whilst looking after him, I have no idea how u can have two and work a full time job.

Z said...

Something I learned in 1977 or so - the advantage of having two children is that they will, in time, play with each other and so not demand your continued attention. It is important that, when they fight, you let them settle their own differences, even if you're slightly worried that they will fight to the death. Otherwise, they will never establish a pecking order and will continue to bother you.

James Henry said...

Pattaya Girls: it helps that I don't have what could be referred to as a 'proper' job...

Z: Ah, useful stuff, cheers.

Boz said...

Stop that! Stop that immediately! You have a perfectly 'proper' job! It's just not one that conforms to most people's understanding of a job, IE huddled behind a soulless desk in large, bland office surrounded by people with great political machinations afoot about who the next photocopier supplier should be.

Humph.

The Cardinal said...

God does things like that sometimes to remind us that life is ephemeral, and that some people are really rubbish at putting up slates.